Re: [tlug] font encoding question

Brian Chandler wrote:
steven smith wrote:

But how will you know what the encoding is?
Agreed, but it looks like jcode.pm will still be useful.

Actually I believe it is simpler than this. If you have a webpage encoded in UTF-8, you can (*) assume that the browser will return form input values in the same encoding.
Are you sure? From the discussion that's been going on in the "WWWJDIC backdoor issue" thread, I'm not sure it's that simple. This isn't quite the same since I'll be serving a form, but... somehow assuming always seems to get me in trouble. If someone can verify that a page will return text in the font it has been encoded in, I'd be delighted. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around font-encoding and the issues involved.

In any event, in the "backdoor" thread Stephen Turnbull pointed out this link:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#adef-accept-charset
so assuming that the browser pays attention, I plan on using both your suggestion, Stephen's, and then praying for the best :)

Like they said in that thread, one standard would be nice (though the context was a bit different). I have to make sure everything I send to friends in Japan is in ISO-2022 or they see æååã, but most of the rest of the world (and I think this list usually) is utf-8. And then there's ISO-8859. For me, font encoding often seems to do the unexpected. Augh...

Thanks for the suggestion and I will use it.

Steve S.