Re: [tlug] [OT?]A Hard Drive Question

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 02:23:22AM +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> On 15/06/07, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone ever formatted an external USB hard drive with anything other
> >than FAT32?  Is it possible to format one using EXT3 or similar?  If so, are
> >there any benefits to doing so?
>
> XFS. The benefits are the same as using XFS on your internal hard drive.
>
> The drawbacks are that it is Unix-only, if you consider that a problem. ;)

Yes, we had an emergency "We need storage space" issue, so I created one
as FreeBSD UFS2.  There were no issues, it was treated as any other
drive (though FreeBSD treats external USB's as SCSI, and do need a few
things put in the kernel, all well-documented in their handbook.)

Once the kernel stuff had been done, it was a matter of plugging it  and
formatting it as I would any SCSI disk.

Josh, is it that other FS types won't work, or you simply prefer XFS?

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Cordelia: Hi! You having fun?
Angel: Sure. This is, uh...
Cordelia: Your idea of hell.
Angel: Actually, in hell you tend to know a lot of the people