Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Correct particle to use

On 6/13/07, Stuart Luppescu <s-luppescu@example.com> wrote:
On 火, 2007-06-12 at 14:53 -1000, Bart Mathias wrote:
> The scariest thing is をほしい.

Hmm. How about を好き  For some reason, putting an object before a
nominal form seems extremely perverted. (Yet, I'm pretty sure I've heard
my wife use it.) Putting を好き into Google gives about 1.6 million
hits, but a lot of those are acceptable expressions such as なになにを好
きにして。When I searched for を好き NOT を好きに I got about 1.3
million pages. Searching for を好きです gave 26,000 hits. Does this
bother other people, or is it just me?

好きする gave me 26.500 hits - I find that far more terrifying than をほしい and stuff. Btw. I do not think that it is useful to be a grammar-Nazi in a fast evolving language like Japanese. Since I'm learning English (something like 15 years now) I've rarely noticed a change. In Japanese (began learning that 6 years ago - started with books with vocabulary from the 70s) I am already noticing changes incl. words which do not seem to exist anymore (and aren't known from nearly no one I asked about 'em).

Niels