Re: [tlug] contribution to F/OSS community

On 12/06/07, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus@example.com> wrote:

Actually I joined KDE for a short time and I was the first coodinator
of KDE-vi project. Now I have a fulltime work so working for a FOSS
project is probably, tough.

I actually think that many FOSS projects welcome the stealth member who simply pops up, says "here's a Vietnamese translation of your docs", and then disappears.

One of the biggest impediments to accomplishing anything in a
technical project is the startup friction costs; an outsider can
basically ignore this, do a small unit of work, and move on to
something else. This is a net win for all parties.

Most of the FOSS stuff I do is like this. I find an issue, patch it,
send the patch to the author(s), and then find the next little thing.

I don't have the time to be anything more than a ronin in the FOSS
world. Even the Gentoo work I do is of this nature: add an ebuild to
the Portage tree here, fix a bug there.

And now you've just made it necessary for me to blog about this. :)

-Josh