Re: [tlug] Giving a program priority briefly

> One particularly interesting point to me, that's perhaps not obvious, is
> that I've found that the refactoring generally comes when I'm about to
> add new stuff, not after it's added. I find it's when you're faced with
> adding new features that you most clearly realize the problems with the
> current organization of the code.

Yes. You could argue that refactoring before you know what you
functionality you will need next is like optimizing without first
profiling your code.

Stepping back in to the real world though, if you need to publish an API
that programmers outside your immediate control will use, then some
pre-release refactoring based on guessing future needs may be a good idea.

Darren