Re: [tlug] Giving a program priority briefly

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Nguyen Vu Hung writes:

> Adding features and optimization should be done after refractoring,
> in that order.

Waterfall model, anyone?

I really don't think a human being can work that way.  The best you
can hope to do is concentrate most of your attention on one at a time.

Well, painting with rather broad strokes here, I'd say that I work just fine that way, as do many others I've worked with, though I'm not sure I'd apply the term "waterfall model" to an endless loop of "three minutes of design, five minutes of refactoring, ten minutes of adding new features, five minutes of optimization." (With the particular number of minutes at any point varying quite a bit.)

One particularly interesting point to me, that's perhaps not obvious, is
that I've found that the refactoring generally comes when I'm about to
add new stuff, not after it's added. I find it's when you're faced with
adding new features that you most clearly realize the problems with the
current organization of the code.

cjs