Re: [tlug] Installing Linux on an Asus laptop

On 6/7/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>   boot: knoppix screen=1600x1200 vsync=85 depth=24

You may want to bail on that idea, which will have you spending a lot
of time looking at BIOS memory test screens and boot message logs (or
splash screens, if your particular distro hides the boot messages), and
just boot up multiuser but with a console login. Then you can go through
rounds of "edit X11 config, run it, watch it fail, read errors, repeat"
until you get something that works well.

I was able to get the information I needed to install Linux on an NEC laptop by using Knoppix and taking a video of the start-up and shut-down screens - and then freeze-framing the video playback to write down the parts that I needed to know. (Standard digital camera movie mode works fine for this.)

Lyle