[tlug] Re: Some UTF8 Japanese breaks out of vertical flow

Dave M G <martin@example.com> moaned:

This isn't Linux, but Japanese encoding related. I hope that is
acceptable here, since I know quite a few of you are masters of Japanese
encoding issues.

On the following web site, I have a menu written in Japanese (on the
right side, carried by a sumo-cherub):
http://nihongode.jp

The text formatted with CSS, where the menu is a  <ul> list, and each
<li> item is constrained to a width of 1em. Since the width of each list
item is only one character wide, this forces each character to break to
the next line, giving the appearance of veritcal orientation.

It almost works perfectly. Most of the text obeys the constraint.
However, some text items, such as punctuation and small size Japanese
characters (like っ or ィ ), break out of the vertical flow and follow a
left-to-right orientation.

Totally browser-dependent. I hate to say this, but I checked it out using IE <shudder/> running on you-know-what, and it displayed correctly.

It was cocked up with Firefox. I suspect the latter is trying to do something
smart with the rendering. File a fault report. Tell 'em it works fine with IE.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Honorary Senior Research Fellow