Re: [tlug] *Small* NAT/DMZ/LAN h/w suggestions?

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:29:51AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> But there are real possibilities there.  For example, suppose that log
> analysis of TCP traffic were given as a one-pixel per port histogram,
> with "alarm color" coding for servers you actually are running, known
> risky ports (eg, everybody's least favorite well-known port, #22),
> etc.  Then on a bog-standard 1024x768 display, you could see the whole
> "system port" range in one screen, and the colors would tell you where
> the hot spots are.
>
> Or how about if on the network topology that you told it was
> superimposed the traffic patterns, including hosts you didn't know
> could be reached by that path?

Coool ideas..... but they they would be vizualization aids... not config
tools.

>  How about if you could configure the
> firewall by clicking on arrows going into or out of the firewall box?

Ok, but again I want to know what happens under the hood if I click
on the squiggley yellow arrow with the furry orange skin....

> Or static addresses on the DHCP server based on a network map
> discovered with nmap?
>
> The possibilities are endless ... but rarely exploited. :-(

Too true.... too true.....

> Anyway, it's worth trying them.  Who knows, you might be pleasantly
> surprised!

I might be at that. I find that I never seem to have enough time to
explore all the places I'd like go... (sigh).