RE: [tlug] *Small* NAT/DMZ/LAN h/w suggestions?

Trevor wrote:
> It's a really good product for home SOHO use...
> IPCop also has decent documentation and a bunch Of add-ins
> and filters from 3rd parties.

I concur.

I used IPCop for awhile at one company that also had a DMZ. I found it
pretty straight forward and very flexible. The boxes were small form PCs
that had 3 onboard ethernet connectors each so the 3 zones were simple to
set up.

With the add ons that were available:
- the main box was clustered with a second that automatically took over in
the event the first disappeared.
- spam, viruses and just bad web traffic was filtered from even getting in
to the LAN or the mail server.
- the whole system could run from CF cards so one little CPU fan was the
only moving part.

The boxes weren't high powered, but traffic ran through at pretty much wire
speed (except when the spam/virus scanning was on).

Overall, I think IPCop is a great option for many cases.

- Jason