Re: [tlug] *Small* NAT/DMZ/LAN h/w suggestions?

 On Tuesday, May 29, 2007, at 04:51PM, "Keith Bawden" <keith@example.com> wrote:
>> Requirements:
>> small LAN (5 or 6 workstations max)
>> DMZ - 1 or 2 Internet facing servers (web server + ?).
>
>I find some of the Linksys routers to be adequate for all of the
>above. If you want to spend some more coin, but not make a CISCO type
>commitment, then something from Allied (or similar) may be the way to
>go. I've used something similar to this
>http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.uk/products/detail.aspx?pid=89&lid=25

Hi there,
Depending on your limitations (which you didn't mention, btw) I would recommend
this, or something similar from Yamaha.
If you need it to be always available, buy two and  set them both up. Put the
standby near the active one and label them both visibly. When the active
one gives up it's holy smoke, just plug-in the wires on the standby one.

>Building your own firewall does give you fine grained control over the
>lot, but it also increases the maintenance time that have to put into
>it, and has more moving parts to worry about.

That's where your involvement in this operation comes to play.
Do you want to build it and maintain it or just set it up ?

Building it will be very good experience but time consuming.
If you go that route, I would say use these for your setup.

http://www.plathome.co.jp/products/oms400/
http://www.plathome.co.jp/products/oms400/

If that's out of budget, get a couple of stripped down second hand PC's.

Just my 2jpy :-)

Cheers,
--
Henri