[tlug] Re: A question about XML

<burlingk@example.com> asked:

Also, which libs do people preffer for dealing with XML?

I am contemplating messing arround with XML for data files for a project I
want to mess with.

The project would involve loading objects into a dynamic list.  I do not
think I want to deal with the XML file in real time, as I am not sure how
fast that would be, but rather load the data into memory, then save it to
the XML file at save points.

I write a lot of XML files, but rarely actually *use* it because I don't find it that tractable. For moving data around I prefer either text files or SQL (mySQL, PostgresSQL) databases.

The couple of times I had to rip into XML data, I used libxml. Worked fine and
took a lot of the pain away, but it was S L O W, ISTR.

I use xmllint, which comes with libxml, to validate the XML I produce.

Jim
--
Jim Breen
Honorary Senior Research Fellow