[tlug] Re: Software for histograms, pie charts, etc.

Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@example.com> wrote:
On 28 mai 07, at 13:16, Jim Breen wrote:
> Any recommendations on a good Linux-ready package for producing
> colour bar charts, pie charts, etc.?

A quick google search found:
Plotr:
http://solutoire.com/plotr/

R:
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/2237/

GDChart:
http://www.fred.net/brv/chart/

But I supposed you had all that already...

"Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> added:

I find the Perl interface to GD[1] quite easy to use. Just install the
main GD::Graph CPAN module, as well as any of the specific ones you
might want, like GD::Graph::bars.

and Darren Cook <darren@example.com> suggested:
Open Office. I just spend 5-10 minutes testing it and it is easy to use.
Basically you choose Insert|Chart... and follow the instructions. I've
attached my 5 minute work (the xls is 10K, the ods is 27K, which is why
I attached the xls). The charts update when the data changes.

I'd looked at GD, GDChart, Plotr, and they seemed messy - a lot of installing and driving - I was hoping for a quick fix 8-)}

The site at: http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/ does some nice charts
quite quickly.

Most impressed with the Open Office approach. I may well run with that. Thanks
for the suggestion, Darren.

Jean-Christophe also asked:
I seem to remember you put OmegaT in the tools list ?
Are you aware that OmegaT has such a user base that it is a valid
option on such a list ?

Well, I was/am aware enough to mention it on the list of TM systems 8-)}

Would you mind letting me know how many people mentioned it in their
answers ?

[Some background: this concerns a questionnaire I am running around the Japanese translator's community. The presentation I'm giving is to the IJET conference in Bath next month.]

Haven't analyzed it too far yet, but simply grepping for key words gets:

Trados   55
WordFast 30
Deja Vu   9
OmegaT    6