Re: [tlug] TLUG Web Site

On 5/27/07, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:

Some ideas thrown around so far include:

# Existing content should remain accessible in one form or another.
The current favourite method is to create a new sub directory and move
the existing site into that and preserve it as is. This will kill
existing URLs, however any popular content will soon have new/updated
search engine entries.
# Admin interface to easily add and update announcements to the front
page with links to the relevant wiki entry.
# Media gallery. Each event to have a wiki entry with "highlight"
photos on that page. We can then throw all the extra photos in a sub
dir and proved a link to that. Also, users can add links to their own
relevant photo galleries if they wish.
# All pages to display creation and modification dates.
# Links to sponsors.
# Links to  other groups - links on the front page to "like minded
groups" in Japan.
# A more detailed and extensive links page in the wiki.
# Links to the wiki homepage, and maybe a random wiki page, or "page
of the week" or "featured" pages...
# Wiki and site to be searchable from the front page.

I think that ideas are pretty good. Almost all that points can be performed with some CMS as drupal, joomla, plone or whatever. So in a future everyone can update the system or resolve problems because the site use an already know code. One of the big problems about the actual site is that nobody really knows how it works. I have the code of 4 or 5 years ago and I'm sorry, I'm not a web programmer but the code seems a little bit chaotic. So If we use a CMS, if in the future the webmaster get for example abducted by some unnatural incomprehensible phenomena, another person can take his place and use the environment in a couple of hours. And we could even perform a site to put news, tutorials and information. For example http://bulma.net/ the LUG of the Balears Islands do it and their site is pretty famous in Spain. I think we can exploit many of the advantages all the Web offer today and in Tlug there are many web developer experts that can give advices and ideas about that.

One more point about use a CMS is that it's easy to install and
configure in a couple of hours and for the design, well there are many
free layouts or just we can make a personalized one.

What do you think? :-)

      -Pietro

--
- Pietro Zuco (ピエトロ・ズコ)