Re: [tlug] ssh tunnel in background requires nohup?

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 02:39:28PM +0900, emiddleton@example.com wrote:
> Al Hoang wrote:
>>     So my questions to TLUG are:
>> 1. If you try something similar do you have the same issues?
>> 2. Is this distro-specific?  I've tested this on Debian Sarge, Ubuntu Feisty
>>    and Ubuntu Dapper so perhaps it is something that is Debian-specific but
>>    I don't have enough linux distros available right now to test this thoroughly.
>> 3. Why is this happening?  My guess is that the sshd or shell process tied to
>>    the machine you are trying to run the ssh tunnel from is waiting for some signal
>>    from the ssh tunnel process before it exits.
>
> user screen or setup the tunnel in an init script.

    This does not answer my questions why.  And I find screen a poor answer
when considering this is going to be run like a daemon.  nohup is a better
option which I am already using.  The tunnel I'm talking about
IS being setup in an init script that I wrote.

Alain