Re: [tlug] LETTER FROM LINSPIRE FOUNDER

Godwin Stewart writes:

 > Note that their lack of information on exactly what patents are being
 > infringed is resounding in its silence.

They also haven't defined what "Linux" is.  Do they mean the kernel?
The GNU system?  Everything on the Novell distribution CD?

 > There's a good chance that by naming the patents, everyone would
 > challenge their validity and either produce prior art or demonstrate a
 > lack of innovation, either of which would invalidate the patents in
 > question.

In the U.S. you should expect that it's quite a bit harder than that,
even after recent Supreme Court decisions.  It's also expensive,
especially if you're a commercial enterprise.  The patent is presumed
valid until overturned, so you're at substantial risk of various
injunctions throughout the process.

Saber-rattling, yes, in the end.  But in the meantime "don't point
that thing at *me*, the end is damn sharp!"