Re: [tlug] Printers

Darren Cook writes:

 > If I was buying for a multi-person office I think I'd do the same, but
 > it at least doubles the price, and the printers are (physically) bigger.
 > It is a shame none of the cheaper and more compact models speak
 > postscript; I wouldn't expect it to take up any space or add any
 > manufacturing cost. But maybe it needs a better CPU and more memory?

It requires both, and thus makes the printer expensive enough that
people demand speed and reliability (specifically including not
jamming during the monsoon season), too.  Those require better paper
handling.  It is paper handling, not CPU or memory, that makes things
big and heavy (with design held constant; but design breakthroughs
require at least a spark of genius, while kaizen requires only
ordinary everyday engineering).