[tlug] Printers

I hate printers. [Rant moved to the P.S.] I'm wondering if my "poor
luck" is because I get a colour inkjet every time. Perhaps I should
instead get a dedicated b/w laser printer, and one of those dedicated
colour photo printers. (Our main need for colour is 30 nengajo once a
year; our main need for b/w is my work, on the order of 30-50 A4 pages a
month.)

I'd welcome any advice and experience reports on brands, models, etc.
It/They will be connected to a fedora core 4 printer server, using
samba, for both windows and linux clients.

As my pile-of-steaming-Epson refuses to print out something fairly
urgent unless I feed it another cartridge (see rant) I guess I need to
buy a b/w printer this weekend.

Darren

P.S. I've been through all the manufacturers over the years and every
time I have been dissatisfied. My current printer is Epson (PX-V500)
which is highly irritating for telling me I have no ink in a cartridge
when I can shake it and hear there is still plenty left. Even worse, is
that it currently refuses to print out a black/white page because it is
*nearly* out of *cyan* ink. This is after putting a new black ink
cartridge in.

So I'm at the stage of do I really want to spend another 850+ yen for a
cyan cartridge or do I want to spend 10-20,000 yen on a low-stress
printer and 1000 yen on a sledgehammer to hit the Epson with. The purse
says one thing, my heart another...