Re: [tlug] emacs requiring network connection

Keith Bawden writes:

 > question of - "why the **** does a TEXT EDITOR

*sigh*  Emacs is an operating system, not a text editor.  Can't you
tell the difference?

 > require a network connection to work,

Because somebody from KAME has commit access.  We had that problem in
XEmacs around 21.4.2 "Developer-Friendly Unix APIs" (around May Day
2001).  We worked around it with a configure option for the default,
which is OFF.  Except for the bitching from the IPv6 advocates at the
time, nobody has ever (I mean NEVER) asked that the default be
changed, or even mentioned using the configure option.

If it's properly implemented, it will eventually time out.  After
about 600s X number of nameservers configured. :-(

 > and what does emacs do with the query?"

Basically, if you are going to be a politically correct IPv6 host, you
must get your canonical host name from a specific API
(gethostnamebyaddress or something like that).