Re: [tlug] emacs requiring network connection

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:23:55PM +0900, Hector Akamine wrote:
> thanks for the information. Running strace shows emacs trying to connect to
> the DNS server. Searching the web, I found the following link:
>
> http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/doc/faq/faq4-1.htm#414
>
> According to this page, emacs does a lookup on the host name (thus,
> if the translation is not available locally it talks to the dns server).
> After adding the following line to the /etc/hosts file, I was able to start
> emacs without requiring to be connected to the network:
>
> 127.0.0.1	myhostname	localhost.localdomain	localhost

    I believe Debian and Ubuntu and an entry like to help get around this:
127.0.1.1  myhostname

    I'm not 100% sure if that's better or not but it does keep 127.0.0.1
stuck with localhost rather than making the system hostname think it's also
the same as the localhost address

Alain