Re: [tlug] emacs requiring network connection

> I have noticed the following issue: if I try to start emacs > while my PC is disconnected from the network (i.e., unplug the ethernet cable > from my PC), the emacs window won't show until I plug the PC again > to the network.

Josh,Tod, thanks for the information. Running strace shows emacs trying to connect to the DNS server. Searching the web, I found the following link:

http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.2/doc/faq/faq4-1.htm#414

According to this page, emacs does a lookup on the host name (thus,
if the translation is not available locally it talks to the dns server).
After adding the following line to the /etc/hosts file, I was able to start
emacs without requiring to be connected to the network:

127.0.0.1	myhostname	localhost.localdomain	localhost

Hector