Re: [tlug] emacs requiring network connection

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Hector Akamine wrote:

I have noticed the following issue: if I try to start emacs while my PC is disconnected from the network (i.e., unplug the ethernet cable from my PC), the emacs window won't show until I plug the PC again to the network. From this behavior, it seemed to me emacs was trying to connect somewhere before starting, so I ran wireshark to check this. The only thing I found in the packet capture that seemed related, is a DNS query from the PC running emacs (and the corresponding response from the server), so I guess it is.

You were so close; why did you stop here?

What name was it looking up and what was the answer?

Probably all you have to do is put this name and the corresponding answer in your /etc/hosts file and the problem will be solved.
--
Tod McQuillin