Re: [tlug] the power of the live CD

On Thu, 10 May 2007 12:52:06 +0900, "Keith Bawden" <keith@example.com> wrote:
>> Thankfully
> I have not supported any Windows machines for 2+ years now. I have

To quote Napoleon Dynamite:
Lucky...

> If you google you can find many many variants of KNoppix (and possibly
> the Ubuntu live CDs) that are tailor made for anything and everything
> from playing games through forensics. This may be easier than rolling
> your own.

I've been pushing KNoppix on people as well but I'd like to make a CD based on either kubuntu or knoppix, and include not only the software and codecs mentioned previously, but I'd also like to harden it a bit off the bat, set a su password, change the username, include Japanese language support, etc.

A while back I started making a live CD following the knoppix remastering instructions from the Remastering How-To wiki, but every time I created the image it ended up being over 700 megs, I think I was doing something wrong with the compression. Reason I say that is one time I had actually done an apt-get remove and clean of more packages than were originally there, so there should have been even less data to burn.

At any rate, if anybody has created a live CD I'd love to hear how you did it.

Cheers,
Scott VanDusen
Tokyo