[tlug] emacs requiring network connection

Hi,

I have noticed the following issue: if I try to start emacs
while  my PC is disconnected from the network (i.e., unplug the ethernet cable
from my PC), the emacs window won't show until I plug the PC again
to the network. From this behavior, it seemed to me emacs was trying
to connect somewhere
before starting, so I ran wireshark to check this. The only thing
I found in the packet capture that seemed related, is a DNS query
from the PC running
emacs (and the corresponding response from the server), so I  guess it is.
If this is the cause of the problem, why the **** does a TEXT EDITOR require
a network connection to work, and what does emacs do with the query?

Have anybody experienced this issue? If the cause is what I inferred, is there
a way to make emacs to refrain doing it?

emacs version is 21.4.1 in FC6 (21.4-17.3.fc6)

Thanks, Hector