Re: [tlug] the power of the live CD

On Thu, 10 May 2007 13:00:52 +0900 (JST), "Michael Engel" <mkengel@example.com> wrote:
> what about a naked computer and you could use any OS you want just by switching the CDs.

Or a naked computer using a live DVD for more software and a memorystick for user data even :-)

>How much RAM would you need
> to run a "usual, installed" OS with the usual speed ?

The problem as far as I can tell is the read speed of CDs, takes a while to spin up and load the programs.

> By the way, is there any additional thinkable security risk when using a
> LiveCD on top of another OS ?

Well I might be wrong but it seems kubuntu doesn't come with ntfs write support, and the people who I would like to give the live CD to are all using XP on ntfs, so even if the OS was hacked into, it would have to be a pretty dedicated attack for a couple of reasons -first there isn't an sshd or httpd running automatically on these boxes, secondly there isn't any way for the hacker to alter any config files on the CD, and finally they can't destroy stuff on the HD unless they spend time to download ntfs write support (although I guess they could umount it and format it).. so it's probably not too much of a security risk IMHO.

Cheers,
Scott VanDusen
Tokyo