[tlug] the power of the live CD

Hi everyone,

I've just completed two cool tasks at work using the kubuntu live cd. One was recovering files from a crashed XP machine using rsync over ssh. The second was duplicating my laptop's hard drive to another identical laptop with a larger hard drive, again with ssh but this time using dd so I could get the XP partition data (it's a dual boot). So cool. What's funny is the company I work for hosted a major debate a couple of weeks ago titled "Open Source Software: A Threat or Opportunity?". And some people were arguing that it's a threat. Unbelievable. Especially considering the fact that I use it all the time at work to do sysadmin tasks as well as for my own workstation.

Anyway, now all I need to do is create a live CD based on kubuntu that comes bundled with the flash plugin for mozilla, realplayer, java and codec's for .avi files, and of course all the Open Office suite, and then I could save the world. Or at least decrease my workload, because 6 out of 10 computer "issues" I have to deal with at work are because people are using their work computers to do non work related things at home, then they get their XP machines infected with spyware/viruses and lose their data. It would be so useful if I could just give these people a live CD and tell them to boot from it when they want to perform extracirrucular activities with their corporate assets...

Anybody created a live CD yet? Tips?

Cheers,
Scott VanDusen
Tokyo