[tlug] buffer i/o error on usb dev

I had a power outage while downloading to an external usb drive which was formatted fat32. After this I had problems with file access on the drive. After reformatting it, it apparently works OK in Windows, but Linux (Debian testing 2.6.18-4) won't have anything to do with it.

During bootup:

buffer I/O error on device sdb logical block 29305205

...and won't go any further till I unplug it. If I plug it back in after bootup, Linux won't recognize the drive.

I spend most of the evening trying various diagnostic tools in both Windows and Linux, reformatting alternately as ntfs and fat32 (both quick and slow format), but haven't hit on a solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck

www.acmuller.net