Re: [tlug] Dmesg and CPU Information

Curt Sampson writes:

 > Yes, but given fifty or sixty people doing that, the dmesg output grows
 > huge, it becomes impossible find anything, and it rapidly overflows the
 > message buffer anyway. That way lies madness. It is, to be sure, a fine
 > line to walk.

Overflowing message buffers?  erm, have you looked at lkml recently?
Madness is ... right here! :-)

 > the port stands, what it doing and configuring, and so on. And NetBSD
 > conveniently saves the initial dmesg output to /var/run/dmesg.boot when

I think Linux distros mostly send that to /var/log/kern.log.  This is
done by running dmesg as part of the rc sequence, of course.

 > it starts the multi-user part of the boot process. The information
 > also stays available in the memory dmesg buffer, even when booting a
 > different kernel, if you can manage to reboot without resetting the
 > machine (which is possible from the debugger).

Those are both good tricks.  I don't think Linux can do that kind of
reboot, although there's "kexec" now, which might do the trick (if you
don't tromp on the buffer, of course).