Re: [tlug] ZFS supremacy on Linux forthcoming?

Keith Bawden wrote:
I am speaking out of my hat. Does anyone foresee ZFS replacing EXT3 in
Linux distributions within the next few years?

I would expect ext4 to replace ext3 more readily as it largely

I agree with Keith on this one, ext4 will probably take its evolutionary role in taking over ext3.

As for ZFS there seem to be some hesitance to include ZFS in the kernel due to license and patent issues behind ZFS [1]. I'm not sure their discussion regarding the patents and licenses is much beyond FUD but if enough of the kernel maintainers are going to take a sit back and see approach then ZFS's future with Linux is definitely going to be delayed to say the least.
That's okay, FreeBSD and OS X will be hopefully enjoying the benefits of ZFS soon :-)

[1] http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066