Re: [tlug] Re: Strange encoding problem in FireFox

Dave M G writes:

 > Jim Breen wrote:
 > > ... it looks like your font for JIS (EUC/Shift_JIS/etc.) may be
 > > corrupted.
 >
 > I think you've nailed it. I went to WWWJDIC, used the customization
 > option to set the encoding to utf8, and the problem disappeared.

It would be useful to know what the setting was before, and what
Firefox was detecting it as.

AFAIK, there are no "fonts for JIS" any more; everything is done with
TrueType fonts which are Unicode-based.  With Type1 fonts you might
have CID indexes, but those aren't used much any more.  Do you see a
difference in the font used for the characters that are correct?

It's possible that the translation table used to convert JIS to
Unicode got corrupted somehow, but this looks like an algorithmic
problem, and the fact that half-width kana are involved just stinks of
Shift-JIS breakage.