Re: [tlug] Ubuntu versions

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 09:17:15PM +0900, Arwyn Hainsworth wrote:
> On 26/04/07, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
>
>     Brian,
>
>     At this point I would recommend you stick to version 6.10 of Ubuntu.
>     That's "Edgy Eft".

Now interestingly enough, (see Arwyn's last line) my experience with
Edgy was horrible, whereas Feisty has worked far better.

With Edgy, my biggest problem was that my test box has an old Matrox
card.  Edgy was when they updated to xorg 7 and at 7.1 there was a
broken mga driver.  Several reports, problem confirmed, fix offered but
it never made it into Edgy.  If I were dying to have Ubunutu on that
machine, the workaround was simple enough for someone with a bit of
experience, use alternate install grab the patch, but throughout the
Edgy lifecycle it wasn't made available on the install CD.  This problem
was acknowledged and fixed during the betas, so that surprised me.

Neither  Edgy or Frosty, errm Fluffy, errm Feisty, would even boot on
this Gateway laptop I have.  In contrast, most other distros' live CDs
ran without problem, and even the non-newcomer oriented ArchLinux had no
problems with it.  For me, Dapper was the last easy to use one.  :)

So, (after snipping description of how Edgy was far better for someone
than Feisty)

As Arwyn wrote.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Giles: Nothing left but skin and cartilage.
Xander: In other words, this was no boating accident.