Re: [tlug] Hosed my home directory [SOLVED]

Stephen, Arwyn, Ken, Zev, TLUG,

Thank you guys for your advice.

I was out in Akihabara this afternoon and I popped into Dospara and saw that ATA hard drives are really cheap. Since this is going to be a multimedia machine, I figured extra space is always good. So I picked up a 320GB drive.

My plan was that either my current drive is salvageable, and then I'll just add in the extra drive. Or, my original drive is not salvagable, in which case I'll just use the new one.

I got home and checked your guys' messages. Armed with new commands to try, I rebooted.

And it took me to a whole new place. I got to a command prompt again. But it didn't ask for my user name and password. There was some new error, but I didn't have much time to see it. It scrolled off the top of the screen, and then I was shown a list of available commands. They looked like all the usual Linux/Unix commands to me, so I thought that was weird that they came up like that.

At this point I figured I was being led down the garden path, because if the circumstances of the problem keep changing, I'm going to be spending a lot of time fighting this.

Out came the old hard drive, in went the new. So now I'm going to try the fresh hard drive, and see if I get more stability.

Which means I have a 70 GB *possibly* faulty hard drive that I don't think I'm going to play with anymore. Anyone want it? Free to anyone who feels like finding out if it's any good.

By the way, just as an aside, Stephen:
However, fsck errors tend to cascade;
there may be thousands of them.  It can take a very long time to press
Y or N for each!  Ctrl+C should get you out with no changes, too.
I'm sure you already knew this, but I found on the 'net that one can type in "fsck -y" and it will automatically say yes to the zillions of confirmations that come up. Maybe that's a bit too sledgehammer-ish for more experienced Linux users, but for me it was a great time saver since I wouldn't have known when to say "no" anyway.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn