Re: [tlug] Hosed my home directory

Stephen, TLUG,

Okay... scary stuff.

I was just sitting here, reading my morning email, munching on cereal, when suddenly this new error message appears on my MythTV computer's monitor. Keep in mind, I didn't touch a key, and it had been sitting idle since I booted up and reported the "bad magic" error a little less than an hour ago.

The error is right at the command prompt, as shown:

mythtv@example.com:/$ [17180667.224000] EXT3-fs error (device hda1): ext3_find.entry: bad entry in directory#665254: inode out of bounds - offset=152, inode=66634, rec_len=12, name_len=4
[17180667.224000] Remounting filesystem read-only
[17180667.224000] EXT3-fs error (device hda1): ext3_find.entry: bad entry in directory#908545: inode out of bounds - offset=1652, inode=908644, rec_len=12, name_len=2
mythtv@example.com:/$

With errors like that just coming out of nowhere, I'm thinking that maybe the hard drive is basically just failing, and that even if I recover from these errors, these are just signs of more to come.

Am I wrong about that? Is this a system thing that can be repaired, or should I save myself some trouble and just go buy a new HD? The machine, as mentioned elsewhere, is a hand-me-down from a friend, so it's not a big surprise that the HD might be shot. It would be an okay time to go and replace the HD, since I just got it and there's no data I need to keep.

If it's salvageable, what would I do to salvage it?

If not, any recommendations on where to get a good HD these days?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn