Re: [tlug] Open archives are bad?

On 4/23/07, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

That's an odd choice of words. "Dump"? Dumping implies movement, and
there's no need to move the archives in any way. Nor change them. Nor
rely on search engines for anything, since the existing functions of the
archives would be left in place.

Yes, sites are crawled. Bad analogy I suppose. I claim poetic license like I do with my punctuation and grammar. :) The takeway was external processing vice taking ownership, blah, blah, blah. No reason to expound really.

Huh? What is there to expect? I doubt there would be any noticeable
difference to anyone, really. Possibly minutely higher traffic, mostly
from search engine bots. Every now and again someone out there might do
a search and hit a TLUG archived posting and maybe find something
useful. Or not. And in either case, would TLUG or its members notice or
need to know?

It`s a mute point anyway. I could expound, but it wouldn`t change a thing. Let`s move on.

Which could be done anyway, without a switch to any other system.
There's nothing stopping the TLUG powers that be from re-implementing
the username/password requirement if they wanted to.

Precisely.

--Uva