Re: [tlug] Why the shirts? Why TLUG?

Lyle H Saxon writes:

 > Keeping this in mind, it's not surprising that many on the list are
 > perfectly happy to have Linux remain a mysterious black magic, for
 > then they are more likely to be able to pay the rent and buy food!

Feel free to name names.  I know of no recent poster who fits that
description.

The fact of the matter is that posts to TLUG divide into two kinds:
those by regular members who are always happy to explain the magic to
any who will listen, and those by trolls who complain about the
elitism of those doing the explaining, or demand that everything be
further simplified for the benefit of those who are uninterested in
learning the technical details.

But it is the mass of non-technical users that you and Shannon propose
to attract who are perfectly happy to have their OS remain mysterious
black magic, as long as it works.

Nay, I take that back.  They *demand* that their OS be a black box and
that it work.  And they are right to do so; it's perfectly feasible,
as you and Shannon correctly insist, to create a user-friendly OS that
works.  Face it: *they are not like you*, and that is as it should be.

Such users will not be comfortable on TLUG, nor do they have any need
to be here.  As somebody (Uva?) pointed out, their needs are being
addressed first, by the commercial distros, and second (and so close
behind that they're banging cracks in Red Hat's taillights) by the
advocacy distros (like Debian).