Re: [tlug] Re: Why the shirts? Why TLUG?

On 4/22/07, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:

Sorry, but there is no brand Linux, or a brand OSS. The OSS community in general and the Linux community in special is just a bunch of people doing something along a similar line. I don't really understand why people always try to make a brand out of it of try to put everyone into the same pot. OSS people are very inhomogenous. There aren't two who think the same way or eve do the same thing.

If you want to generalize those people, please
call them a community or a movement, but please
don't call them a brand.

There is, but most brands are ubiquitous. The average U.S. citizen views 3000 brands a day. TLUG is a brand. Why do folks choose TLUG over another LUG? To claim there is no brand is to not understand the idea of brand. Its persistent regardless if you recognize it for what it is or not. I'll post some reading material a bit later so show you where I'm coming from.

--Uva