Re: [tlug] OT:dual core CPUs

>> This may be the dumb question of the day, but doesn't
>> that make them slower than my Celeron 2.8Ghz?
>
> It's not just the "Gzh" of the processor that gives you performance-
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/26/the_gigahertz_battle/

That was interesting, though not including modern pentiums because "we
cannot get them to run slow enough" kind of invalidates any conclusions.
Shame they didn't include a 2.4Ghz Celeron.

What was most interesting to me though was that while most threaded
applications ran about 80-90% quicker on the dual chips, "Discreet 3D
studio max 8" ran 3.2 times quicker, and "Deep Fritz 10" ran 3.4 times
quicker:
 http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/26/the_gigahertz_battle/page14.html

I suspect what they have in common is that they are not just CPU bound,
but also don't need much more memory than L2 cache gives them.

Darren