Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding [SOLVED]

Brian,

Glad my printer instructions were of some help, even if they haven't gone quite right for you.

bjfilter-2.5: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4-1) but 2.3.6-0ubuntu20 is to be installed
pstocanonbj: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4-1) but 2.3.6-0ubuntu20 is to be installed
Depends: libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.3) but 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.6.06 is to be i nstalled
E: Broken packages
Help! I did press on and try, without luck
Okay, first thing to know here is that your printer is not the problem. It's your packaging system. So don't go rush out and buy a new printer, because that's not needed.

You can try opening Synaptic, and then under "Edit" select "fix broken packages". There's also a way to do this from the command line with apt-get, but I can't remember what it is right now.

Beyond that, if your packages are still not installing, I think a more expert person will be able to help you resolve the package errors. That's where you want to do your trouble shooting. Once you can download and install the packages, you should be home free.

However, another bit of useful info for you is that the "pixma" drivers you are seeing refer to the US models of Canon printers. They come bundled with the latest Gutenprint drivers. A newer version of Gutenprint should be coming out with built in support for the Pixus series from Japan. I happen to have talked to the Gutenprint driver developers on the GIMP mailing list, and that's what I've learned.

So you could also wait a bit, and when the newer Gutenprint drivers come out, your Pixus 1500 may be supported.

Hope that information helps.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn