Re: [tlug] Printer Not Responding [SOLVED]

(Excuse top-post pre-message...)

I've been lurking here for some time, in fact I managed to lurk at a TLUG nomikai too, but this is my first post. Yoroshiku!

Dave M G wrote:
TLUG,

Here's a blast from the past. This thread had gone on for ages without a solution, despite a great deal of help from the TLUG list. It only stopped because I gave up trying to make it work. As far as I was concerned, my printer was basically not going to work with Ubuntu Dapper, period.

Hmm, my situation... I have a Canon printer, and thought I would give it a third try with the following instructions...

How to install a Canon printer in Ubuntu (as of January 17, 2007):

1. Go to CUPS interface in browser:

http://localhost:631/

2. Delete any printers there. (This was necessary on my system as I had drivers from previous versions of Ubuntu/CUPS that had never worked.)

3. If asked for any passwords, use the login and password that are for the main account on the computer.

4. The instructions after this point were originally from the following web site, and modified here for my particular case:

http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/#canon

5. Open a command prompt. Edit the repository list here:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

6. Add the following line. This is specifically for Ubuntu (It also says for Edgy, 6.10, but may work for other Ubuntu versions):

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./

7. Update apt-get to use the new repository information:

apt-get update

8.Use the following install command:

sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj

Got that far. Then I got the following problem (at the end)...

Get:1 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates Release.gpg [191B]
Ign http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp ./ Release.gpg
Hit http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release
Get:3 http://www.getautomatix.com edgy Release.gpg [189B]
Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security Release.gpg [191B]
Get:5 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates Release [50,9kB]
Get:6 http://archive.canonical.com dapper-commercial Release.gpg [191B]
Ign http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp ./ Release
Ign http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp ./ Packages
Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-backports Release.gpg [191B]
Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates Release.gpg [191B]
Get:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-security Release.gpg [191B]
Get:10 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg [189B]
Get:11 http://www.getautomatix.com dapper Release.gpg [189B]
Get:12 http://archive.canonical.com dapper-commercial Release [4886B]
Get:13 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security Release [50,9kB]
Get:14 http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp ./ Packages [1433B]
Get:15 http://www.getautomatix.com edgy Release [6733B]
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-backports Release
Get:16 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates Release [50,9kB]
Get:17 http://archive.canonical.com dapper-commercial/main Packages [2645B]
Get:18 http://www.getautomatix.com dapper Release [8412B]
Hit http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages
Hit http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/restricted Packages
Hit http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Sources
Hit http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/restricted Sources
Get:19 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/main Packages [105kB]
Get:20 http://www.getautomatix.com edgy/main Packages [5659B]
Hit http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/universe Packages
Hit http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/universe Sources
Get:21 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates/main Packages [138kB]
Get:22 http://www.getautomatix.com dapper/main Packages [532B]
Get:23 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-security Release [50,9kB]
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-security Release
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-backports/main Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-backports/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-backports/universe Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-backports/multiverse Packages
Get:24 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates/universe Packages [22,4kB]
Get:25 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/restricted Packages [7250B]
Get:26 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates/multiverse Packages [1805B]
Get:27 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates/restricted Packages [14B]
Get:28 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-security/main Packages [105kB]
Get:29 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates/main Sources [49,5kB]
Get:30 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/main Sources [20,9kB]
Get:31 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/restricted Sources [983B]
Get:32 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-security/restricted Packages [7250B]
Get:33 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-security/universe Packages [53,4kB]
Get:34 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com dapper-updates/restricted Sources [14B]
Get:35 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper-security/multiverse Packages [4082B]
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/multiverse Packages
Fetched 700kB in 1m50s (6339B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
brian@example.com:~$ sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  bjfilter-2.5: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4-1) but 2.3.6-0ubuntu20 is to be installed
  pstocanonbj: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4-1) but 2.3.6-0ubuntu20 is to be installed
               Depends: libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.3) but 1.2.2-0ubuntu0.6.06 is to be i nstalled
E: Broken packages

Help! I did press on and try, without luck - the only Canon driver that appeared even close was "Canon PIXMA iP4000 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0-rc2" - I actually have a PIXUS iP1500.

Can anyone tell me how to make this work?

Or should I just go and buy a printer from a Linux-friendly company? Are there any specific reccomendations for printers to buy *in Japan*?

(I'll leave the rest of the instructions below - step 15 produced silence as usual.)

Thanks
Brian Chandler
http:imaginatorium.org

9. Note that this will restart CUPS.

10. Go to CUPS interface in browser:> http://localhost:631/

11. Add a printer by clicking the "Add Printer" button.

12. Name, location, and description are all just whatever you want to call them. These are names for the user's convenience, not important system variables. I used:

Name: Canon
Location: Desktop

13. In the Device drop down menu, select the printer that matches yours. If all is going well, something fairly obvious should present itself. In my case, I chose:

Canon iP_3100 USB #1 (Canon iP_3100)

14. Select a driver from the list. I chose:

Canon PIXUS iP3100 Ver.2.50 (en)

15. Print a test page!

ï--
Dave M G