Re: [tlug] (no subject)

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
On Tuesday 03 April 2007 19:35, Tribble Phillip J SrA 374 LRS/LGRTT wrote:
Does anyone know how to upgrade from Debian Etch (Testing) to Debian
Etch (Stable) when it comes out? Is it a simple process of changing
the apt sources from testing to stable ?

You should be able to change the sources right now to "etch" and it will stay on Etch once it becomes stable.

At home i'm running Etch and have it referenced directly in my sources.list like so:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ etch main
So, i'm not planning on changing anything when Etch becomes stable.
At least for production systems running on the stable version of Debian this is the One True Way of doing things, referencing the version by name (e.g. Sarge, Etch), not by flavour (e.g. testing, stable).

Otherwise you run the chance of an unplanned dist-upgrade from one version to the next. Been there, done that. I have also made a habit of using "apt-get -u upgrade" instead of "apt-get -uy dist-upgrade" as default, and always having at least one coffee in the system befor running any upgrades:-)

mvh,
-sig

--
Sigurd Urdahl
Linux, goofing, cooking, making fire, computer security, having a