Re: [tlug] SD Card not appearing on desktop. Again.

TLUG,

Further thoughts on the matter. I was comparing my current /etc/udev directory with the one from my old partition.

In my old setup, I have two files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/z60_usbmount.rules
/etc/udev/usbmount.rules

They both say the exact same thing:
# Rules for USBmount
KERNEL=="sd*", BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount add"
KERNEL=="ub*", BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount add"
KERNEL=="sd*", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount remove"
KERNEL=="ub*", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/usr/share/usbmount/usbmount remove"

These look promising, so I was thinking of copying one of them over to my new set up and seeing if they help.

But, in the interest of proceeding slowly, carefully, and in a way I can understand so I reproduce again, I figure I should ask the following questions first:

Are these udev rules necessary (or have they been obsoleted by later kernel configurations)?

Which one is the right one to copy to my new set up?

Do I need to do anything else besides copying the files to make these rules take effect?

How do I get it to take effect (without having to reboot)?

If it doesn't work and I delete the file again, will I need to do anything else to remove them from my configuration?

-- Dave M G Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn Kernel 2.6.20-14-generic Pentium D Dual Core Processor