Re: [tlug] Linux-compatible Mac laptop?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 09:45:10AM +0900, Micheal Cooper wrote:

> On 2007/04/10, at 8:47, Curt Sampson wrote:
>
> >Before you guys get too caught up in wonderful Mac hardware, I should
> >

> Well, the Macs are packing dual core, and they are very speedy, and the screens
> are beautiful (though I think my Vaio beats 'em). On the other hand, even with
> the decrease in prices following the switch to Intel, Macs still are much more
> expensive than PCs.
>
> My Mac friend (persistent bastard) pointed out that the OS includes software
> that you don't get with a PC, but I am rather on the fence about whether that
> justifies the difference in price or not.

On the other hand, Windows has better builtin FreeCell programs. :)
(Which aggravated my wife when she first got her Mac--we found a free
version, but it's not as nice as the Windows one.)  There are various
things which are available for both but more expensive for the Mac
version.

There was something I ran across today, a list of Mac keyboard
shortcuts.  BTW, for those who don't know, a standard three button USB
mouse works perfectly with Macs--their newer mice also seem to allow
right clicking, though it takes  a bit of practice to only get the right
side of the mouse--it's not a separate button, the mouse looks the same,
but if you push the right side of it, it's like right-clicking.

Ah, here's the Mac keyboard shortcut page.

http://creativebits.org/keyboard_shortcuts_in_os_x

He left off some--for example, F11 will move all the windows to the
side, F9 makes them all small so you can see each one, stuff like that.

I might be wrong on which key does which.  However, some excellent
reading for Mac owners, or those planning to become Mac owners can be
found at

http://www.tekserve.com/about/faq.html

Choose which Faq and download the PDF.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Isn't that what they called The Slayer?
Willow: Buffy, ohh scary.
Xander: Someone has to talk to her people. That name is striking
fear in nobody's hearts.