Hard disk outer edge & performance tuning. Was: Re: [tlug] how filesystem works?

On 3/30/07, emiddleton@example.com <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

Because in general the operating system doesn't give you any control of where a file, in a file system, is physically placed on the hardware.

Considering Linux has strong IBM support, it is interesting that folks hadn't gone further to add more AIX strong points, like the ability to determine which section of a hard disk to place data (e.g. Outer edge). It is a nice feature when performance tuning. I'd be glad to find out that Linux now supports this.

Here's an nice reference on performance tuning to show you where I'm
coming from. Plus there are some items within that are applicable to
Linux tuning as well.
http://publibfp.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/c2348760.pdf

Justification for having one new feature.
http://oraperf.blogspot.com/2005/06/outer-edge-of-disk.html

--vic