Re: [tlug] Linux-compatible Mac laptop?

On 4 avr. 07, at 07:22, Joseph Essertier wrote:

Hello Tluggers,

Is there such a thing as a linux-compatible Mac laptop on the new- computer market today? I want to order one in the next few weeks, if there is. Any recommendations?

Second hand PPC machines work perfectly well with Debian etc. In fact, any distribution that has a PPC port can be used there.

I have not tried putting Linux on my new MacBook but since those are Intel machines there are no good reasons why Linux woulnd't work.

JC Helary

What do I want?
1. speed -- booting applications quickly, nice graphics (mostly photos, probably some video), music
2. not-so-difficult installation of Linux, specifically Debian and Ubuntu

What do I not care about?
1. size of screen
2. new, fancy hardware

Where am I going to use it?
In a Japanese university, with digital projectors, video cameras, and printers. (I know that much of that won't be Linux-compatible, and some of it not even Mac-compatible, but I don't want to give money to the Monopoly Company, so...)

By the way, the many recommendations I received previously on my first Linux computer last year proved very helpful. The PrimePC I bought with minimal specs, the "boring generic" stuff, has worked great and not given me any trouble. Debian and Ubuntu both work really well on it. Thanks to everyone who advised me.

Without having contributed much, here I am again asking for advice.
Joe