Re: [tlug] how filesystem works?

> If you do quarantine /var, you can boot to single-user (or simply stop
> daemons etc that use /var, but that's tricky), find space on another
> partition, mv (or "gzip >") the logs (mail spool, etc) there, and
> restart the system.

Or, in other words, it is a good idea for linux gurus running servers.
That is also the same people/application pair that will be able to guess
reasonably well the partition sizes they need.

IMHO, for the rest of us, it is a waste of effort. (Though, out of
habit, I still usually do; and with modern large disks I just guess high
on the /var requirements.)

Darren

--
Darren Cook