Re: [tlug] [OT] How is Akanbe expressed in English?

Walter Hansen writes:

 > Weird nose half moose: I don't really know the name of this one if it
 > has one. You put you're thumb to your nose with you're fingers extended
 > up and perhaps waving so that the flat of your hand is perpendicular to
 > your face.

"Thumb your nose".  I don't think I've ever seen a person *do* it
(except in Bugs Bunny cartoons), but you'll occasionally hear someone
(typically mother to teenager) say something like "you can't thumb
your nose at *me* and get away with it, young man!"

 > My wife chimed in and says she's seen Canadians do the pulling down of
 > the lower eyelid.

I've seen this, though I don't recall where, and dimly recall it being
accompanied by "here's looking at you, kid". ;-)