Re: [tlug] [OT] How is Akanbe expressed in English?

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 03:33:40PM -0700, Walter Hansen wrote:
Drew Hamilton wrote:
My wife chimed in and says she's seen Canadians do the pulling down of
the lower eyelid.
Really?  I was born and raised in Canada and never saw a single person
do that...
- awh

Would have been Winnipeg about 1960. She says the kids in her classes did that, but she never saw an adult do it.

I might mention, since we are such an international list, that when
Walter lists various things (sticking out your tongue, moose horns and
the like) as juvenile, he means REALLY juvenile. A twelve year old
would be too old to do it, save as a joke.

I'm not entirely sure. It does seem to be more of a young kid thing, but I don't see any lack of teen girls doing this sort of thing although they usually replace it "The Bird" (flipping off, middle finger) at that point. People seem to use it when they want to act juvenile.