Re: [tlug] how filesystem works?

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:20:18AM +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:17:51 +0900, "emiddleton@example.com"
> <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
>
> > >  Why simply
> > > 1. find files at the beginning of disk
> > >

> > How were you going to do this?
>
> By sticking them in a partition that's within the first 1024 cylinders?
>
> Do people still run Linux systems with just a huge root partition?

    Yes, because some of us have other things to do besides play
partition-oops-i-screwed-up-the-sizes-again games unless there's
really a good reason (ex. I know everything about the system I'm trying
to build) to on top of which moving around 20GB files and
having to count bytes just to fit it on filesystem X is annoying.

    And 120GB large?  Not by today's standards...

$ df -kh
/dev/hda1             4.6G  3.0G  1.4G  69% /
/dev/mapper/vg-myth   577G  511G   61G  90% /myth

Alain