[tlug] Non destructive update of MySQL database

TLUG,

I've asked this a couple of times on the MySQL mailing list, but have gotten very little in the way of helpful advice or explanation. So I'm hoping you guys might be a little more conversive on the matter.

I've got a local MySQL databases that I'm actively developing, which means I'm adding to the structure relatively often.

I also have some web sites that are using the same database structure. When I change the structure on my local database, I want that change to also be done on my web site databases. Only the structure needs to be altered. No data needs to be copied or synchronized.

So it's pretty easy to dump out the database structure:

mysqldump -u "root" -p"password" databaseName --no-data --result-file=db_backup.sql

But when it comes to importing the structure into the databases on the web servers, I can't find a way to do that.

All I need to do is have new tables and columns added to the existing database structure. Columns or tables deleted in the "source" database don't need to be deleted in the web databases.

Is there a way to do this? Compare one database to another and then have new tables and columns added in?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft