Re: [tlug] A Distro Question

From: Patrick Kellaher <kalmite@example.com>
To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>
Subject: Re: [tlug] A Distro Question
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:28:57 +0900

Kenneth Burling wrote:
I have a question about distributions.

I am wanting to build a new computer some time in the next couple of months, or maybe reutilize an old one. One of the things I would like to do, is that one one of the hard drives I will install Ubuntu or some other reasonably solid/stable distro. One one of the others, I wish to install a system that will basically need to be built from the ground up.

Which distributions are good for this sort of thing? I want to find one that will let me install a bare minimum system, and a compiler. A working copy of lynx might be good as well, but that can be compiled after the fact also if need be.

First hello everyone, I'm new to this list and TLUG.

I just have to throw my two cents in about your second install. I would recommend Slackware. You can install just the bare min system (just the 'a' "disc"), a list of what is installed is here:

   http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/slackware/slackware-11.0/slackware/a/

From there you can install gcc/make/autoconf from the d "disc". Just be careful Slack doesn't do dependency checking.

Slackware has been around since the beginning and is extremely stable. If you are not looking to manually bootstrap a system as Gentoo does then go for it, but Slackware screams "./configure; make; make install". You can find pre-compiled packages on linuxpackages.net, but what is the fun in that? If you want to learn Linux, Slack is for you. Almost all configuration is needed to be done via the flat files and you might even need to configure X (xorg.conf) yourself before it will work.

Note: If you see a guy walking around Tokyo with a Slackware shirt on, it might be me. Ubuntu is the only other distro that I found that holds a candle to Slack... and even then it is designed for a different audience.

Pat

Thanks for the input that everyone has given.  For the moment, I am
playing arround with LFS on my laptop.  :P  I might do the new system
that way when I build it as well.  The current live CD doesn't boot into X,
but if you type startx it is there. hehe.

I will let everyone know how my quest goes. ^.^

---
Ken